Castillo de Perelada
Wine has been made at the Castillo Perelada since the Middle Ages, as shown in several documents and parchments from the period to be found in the library. When Miguel Mateu bought this ensemble of monuments in 1923, one of his primary objectives was to revitalize the wine producing tradition, a tradition that is more alive than ever these days and which has incorporated the most modern technology to create wines that make full use of the nuances of the soils and vines of the Empordà.
Since its foundation, Perelada has been recognised for its commitment to quality through the great international popularity of its wines. In the 1960s, the success in the United Kingdom of what at the time was called “Champagne Rosado de Castillo Perelada” made the sparkling wine producers of the Champagne region in France appeal to the courts to obtain exclusive rights over the use of the name. They won, so the other regions had to look for alternative denominations. In the case of Spain, this gave rise to the Cava D.O. In any event, far from harming Castillo Perelada, the dispute benefited the bodega as free publicity.