The first records of a noble residence on the estate of Angludet (which means "angle of high land") date back to 1150.
The first lord of Angludet, who is referred to in a deed from 1273, was Bertrand d'Angludet, a knight who also owned another fief in Bouliac. In all likelihood, the vineyard has been here since the beginning of the 17th century (Cassini‘s map - 1758).
In 1791, following the death of the then owner, Pierre Legras, the estate was divided up among his four heirs. As a result of this division, Château Angludet did not figure in the classification of Médoc vineyards in 1855.
In 1891, under the auspices of Jules Jadouin, the property was reconsolidated into a single unit of 130 hectares, 55 of which were planted with vines.v
In 1932, Château Angludet was one of six châteaux to be promoted to the rank of Cru Bourgeois Exceptionnel. The estate then passed into the hands of Paul Six for a period of nearly twenty years. Six was an industrialist who preferred to devote more time to his business activities than his vines and the vineyard consequently suffered neglect.
From 1953 on wards, Mr Thomas, the new owner, embarked on a major replanting programme but the harsh winter of 1956 destroyed all the young plants. Economic difficulties prevented the replanting of the lost vineyards, which were replaced by barley and wheat. In 1960, Angludet's vine covered a mere 7 hectares.
In 1961, Diana and Peter Sichel, the parents of the current generation of Sichels, bought the estate after falling in love with this unique site.
Vines were probably first grown at Angludet at the beginning of the 17th century. The Angludet vineyard is shown on Cassini's map of 1758 with a configuration very close to that of the present day - the kind of out standing continuity despite the ups and downs of history which you find only among the very best terroirs.
The Château Angludet estate covers a total of 81 hectares, 32 of which are planted with vines.
With the 2008 vintage, Château d'Angludet changed its name to Château Angludet.
Today, the vines, - which are 25 years old on average and planted at a density of 6,666 to 7,300 vines per hectare, consist of a balanced mix of 46% Cabernet Sauvignon, 41% Merlot and 13% Petit Verdot.
Cabernet Sauvignon provides the structure and back bone typical of wines without standing ageing qualities and helps to retain complexity during the ageing process. Merlot affords roundness and charm, while the Petit Verdot, which comes from the estate's oldest parcel of vines, adds complexity, finesse and character. These three grape varieties are the hallmark of the greatest Margaux wines.